Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tuesday

One of the things I miss about working in a quilt shop is a chance to see all the new books that come out.  I think I might love books  as much as I love fabric.   Lucky for me Martingale has offered me a chance to review some of their newer titles, so it's almost like opening those boxes at the shop, except I'm in my pj's drinking coffee.

 
There's always a lot to learn in a books and one of my favorite kinds of books  is  a quilt reference book. Hexagons, Diamonds, Triangles and More by Kelly Ashton  is a book that will make a fine addition to my library.  I know how to draft a lot of blocks, but these 60 degree shapes always seemed a little too hard to tackle. Couple that with the dreaded Y seam piecing.. well, I just rarely went there.  
 

The first thing Kelly does is break down all the 60 degree shapes.  Wow! There are a lot shapes. Suddenly all those great hand piecing blocks I've seen on Instagram are starting to make a lot more sense. 
 
 
Once you get an introduction to all the shapes, Kelly moves on to blocks.  There's also a nice setting guide which is helpful knowledge for putting all your blocks together into a quilt. When you get this far you're ready to start cutting, and there's a guide for that as well.


If you're not quite ready for designing your own quilt  don't worry, there are a lot of great projects in the book.  There are templates included and instruction how to make your own, as well as resources for templates to purchase.  It's a great book. If you do want to design your own quilt, she tells you the magic number to make that happen. But you need the book for that!

 
 Thanks for Martingale for providing me with free  digital  copy of this book to review.  I really enjoyed reading it.  It's going to make a great addition to my library of reference books!
 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review Pam. I also like books about how to draft your own blocks. It looks like this one will help me break out of my 45 dregree angle rut. Thanks for the honest and thoughtful review.

8:53 AM  
Blogger greg @ grey dogwood studio said...

Looks like a great book! I haven't seen it yet but I will watch for it at B&N and my quilt shop.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older