Friday, August 02, 2013

Pin-spiration Part 2

Happy Friday! How are you? How was the week?  Well you'll be happy to know I did manage to finish up that little project.   I even managed to get in a trip to Target before hand, along with a trip to  get a pillow form, luckily on sale for 40% off !   

Before I get started I want to tell you I was totally inspired by a pillow on Pinterest.  It's been pinned a bunch of times, you can see it here.  You totally need to go check it out, I think it's  adorable and it's been on my mind since I pinned it. 

Cutting the shape of the shield was easy.  I folded a piece of paper in half and just cut what I thought a shield might  look like.  For me it just seems easier than drawing something. Maybe it's because scissors  cut paper so smoothly, I'm just better at it than with a pencil.  I traced the shape on some fusible web  and fused it onto my shield fabric. 

Pinspiration
 
Phase two after the shapes.. I made the bias stems the old fashioned way.  I love how cute the plaid looks cut on the bias.  I used my Go! Baby Rose of Sharon die to cut the leaves and flowers.  It's my favorite die, I use those flower shapes all the time and I think the leaves are perfect.  When I don't feel like getting my die cutter out, I use the June Tailor Mix and Match flower templates that are the same shape.  There is even a leaf template set. 
 
Pinspiration

I cut four 8 1/2 inch squares and made a four patch, then centered my shield and fused it.  Then I did all my blanket stitching.  Have I mentioned how much I love blanket stitching?  You'll probably notice the pink striped bias pieces aren't there... I had planned on a bow but it just looked funny and after  consultation with Elizabeth I left it off.

Pinspiration
 
The pillow front has a layer of batting with minimal quilting around the shield shape and down each side of the 4 seams. I think the batting gives it some substance.  I assembled it with an envelope back, and binding, that just seems so easy.  Right now it's on my chair, but it will soon head into the pillow vault with all my other pillows for it's own protection.
 
I will note that I tried a 16 inch pillow form and it just didn't do the trick.  I pulled out an 18 inch form I had laying around and it is perfect.  Now my pillow is nice and firm. 
 
Ok that's it. I'm glad I got it done. I'm very happy with my version of the pinned pillow.  Have you been inspired to make something you saw on pinterest?  Tell me about it.. I'm all ears.
 
Ok, have a great weekend! xo
 
P.S. It's Roseann's birthday, head over to Facebook and wish her a happy birthday!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Roseann said...

I love love love this pillow!!!!

And thank you for the birthday link.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I like your version of the pillow much better than the inspiration pillow. It's adorable! Thanks for sharing your inspiration and process.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

Love it! The white shield really makes it pop. Off to wish Roseann a happy birthday.

Happy Friday!

7:08 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I likey!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Annelies said...

Ha Ha....just pinned YOUR version of this pillow. It is SEW adorable. Wishing you a HAPPY WEEKEND!!! XXX

7:32 AM  
Blogger CathyK said...

Very pretty pillow!!! I love it!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

LOVE this pillow soooo much. I am inspired by YOU!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Bari Jo said...

I like your version better! Great job! I love that you have your pillows in a pillow vault! If I made something that pretty, I'd do the same! ;oD

6:06 PM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

Did you use mono filament thread? I can't tell. I hate using that stuff. But on some things colored thread doesn't work. Your machine applique is always so perfect. Seriously.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Thimbleanna said...

Very, very cute PKM. As always, you always have the cutest twist to projects!

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older