Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Saying good-bye

This past weekend Bret cleaned up the back porch and I put the cushion on the swing and then sat down and said good-bye to an old friend.

old friends

I started reading Miss Zukas novels back when Frankie was in elementary school. Sitting out in front of her first grade classroom I met a mom who loved to read and we became fast friends. Kind of misfit moms really, not in the cool crowd. She worked at our local bookstore and she introduced me to a whole genre of books that I had only barely scratched the surface of, mysteries. In particular, she introduced me to Miss Zukas.

Miss Zukas was also a misfit, maybe that's why I loved her so much. Anyway, our local independent bookseller is long gone, and my days picking anyone up from school are over, but my love of books remains. And when I recently discovered that there was a new Miss Zukas available, I was thrilled. Then sad, because it's the very last one. And when I finished it last night, I was so happy to have read it and then so sad that it was over.

So anyway. It's May. Let the panic begin!

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane Harris, Stash Bandit said...

I know just what you mean. It's such a good-sad feeling when a terrific read or series comes to an end. I was so depressed when Robert Cormier died--he is one of my all-time favorite authors. Having read everything and knowing there wouldn't be moreā€¦

7:58 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

I am off to get this book Pam, Miss Zukas has always been one of my favorites! BTW try the Louise Penny mysteries....also full of such interesting characters.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

I get you. But you're a cool kid. Really. I love to read. I just finished a book on my trip. It does make you sad to go through an author you love and not have anything waiting for you to read. May frenzy!! I'm so glad I'm out.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Library Gal Quilts said...

I love Miss Zukas. Being a librarygal and all :) Thanks for letting us know...

11:54 AM  
Blogger Bari Jo said...

Thank you for the book recommendations - I have never heard of this series! I just love when a book draws you in and you are sad when it is over! I've been so busy - I need to pick up reading again. Enjoy the May panic - can't wait to see your new fabric! ;O)

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older