Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Detention

Good morning! Did you have a 3 day weekend? What did you do? No 3 days off for Bret, he was back to work yesterday, so in that spirit I tried to get some stuff done around here as well. But boy those quilt blocks are calling me, especially after seeing Nicole's cute pink and red blocks.



First things first, Michelle has found bird clips on Amazon. It's a nice assortment of colors too. Thanks Michelle.

Second up this morning, the formulas for setting triangles. For some reason this calculation isn't always included in books. I keep thinking I will write all the formulas on an index card and post it on my wall, but then I never do. Anyway, here you go!

Setting triangles: Finished block size x 1.414 + 1.25" cut your square this size and then cut diagonally twice to yield 4 setting triangles with straight of grain on the long side. (round up to the nearest 1/8th mark if necessary)

Corner square triangles: Finished block size / 1.414 + 7/8" cut your square this size and then cut diagonally once for 2 triangles with the straight of grain on the two short sides. (round up to the nearest 1/8th mark if necessary)

Ok, nobody has to stay after school today! Have a great one!

12 Comments:

Blogger My Vintage Mending said...

This must be why my blocks are off! I am terrible at math....I love these granny squares. Enjoy your day...smiles...Renee

5:38 AM  
Blogger Nedra said...

Very useful information! I always wondered what the exact calculations are. Thanks!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Your teeny tiny blocks are wonderful!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

It's funny how much frustration you can can save yourself if you do the math instead of eyeballing it and crossing your fingers.

Have fun with your granny squares! I can see the stack if growing at a healthy pace.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ordered my clips first thing this morning!

9:26 AM  
Blogger ferne said...

Thanks for the formulas! Those will be handy in my Tips to Me Notebook that I keep near my machine!

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! that's some very useful information that will make me a better quilter.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

We actually had a 4 day weekend!! Woo-hoo my college son had Friday AND Monday off. So we took them to the slopes for some fun snowboarding :-) And yes we live in the deep south, but flying gets you there really quick!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Bari Jo said...

You ROCK!!! Thank you for the formulas!!! I really appreciate your help!!!!!!!! :O) XOXO

12:44 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Your blocks are so cute.
I just cut a square and then cut them off at 1/4 for my triangles. I hate doing math.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

I ordered my clips yesterday. So cute. Your blocks are darling. I love the little size. But I don't get 1.414" Is .414 3/8"? Sorry, just needing help here.
We had a 3 day too. Can't really say I got a lot done in my sewing room, but it was a nice weekend.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Library Gal Quilts said...

Happiness! I struggled and ended up putting an extra row and still didn't figure out the final square. You are swell :)

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older