Sunday, June 22, 2008

Friday Fun

Bret took another Friday off this week so we could go have some weekday fun. This time we took a ride up to Twain Harte in the the Sierra Foothills. It's hot and dry, and not as picturesque as in the winter, but the drive is still nice and on a weekday not so chock full of traffic. I don't know that we've been up there in a couple of years, so we enjoyed making note of all the changes along the way.
We had lunch at the Rock, Bret's favorite spot there. It was pretty packed when we got there but it cleared out. Then we made a trip to the famous pharmacy that's like an old fashioned dime store (geez, how old am I?) They have a wonderful fabric department and it was chock full of Moda goodness at $6.99 a yard.

For a lot of years we'd come to Twain Harte at Thanksgiving and spend the weekend, getting a cabin at Gables Cedar Creek. We could bring the dogs and the moms and sometimes a niece and still have plenty of room. We always got the Creekside home, it was perfect. Bret has always wanted a cabin up there, he imagines a big huge log cabiny affair that could hold the family for Christmas. I always imagine that small cozy sort of cabin... or summer house.
Either way, it was a hot ride home. I'm not exaggerating either. I have proof! Frankie taunted us with her 77 degrees when we called her. Kids.
The rest of the weekend was lazy and hot. What's up with you peeps?

16 Comments:

Blogger Chocolate Cat said...

Moda goodness at $6.99 a yard!!! I wish!

11:10 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

That looks like alot of fun, I love road trips. On Friday I went and took pictures of a house move and on Saturday another pig roast at the neighbors. Just a quite weekend.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

6:26 AM  
Blogger MichelleB said...

That looks like a great place! Thanks for showing it to us. It was hot for us, too - but not nearly as hot at what you had.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

Loving your day trips. Fridays off together sounds like so much fun. I don't do enough of that.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Red Geranium Cottage said...

I've never been there but hear it's nice. And what are we gonna do with this awful heat??? I do not like it!!!!!
And did you say Moda for 6.99?? LOL!! That perked me up.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Had to check out your links... that creekside place looks heavenly. And lush. And green. And cooooool and refreshing.

I would love to go into an old fashioned dime store. And with Moda in it. OMH! Does that make me old??? HA. Not a chance. I'd be old if I said "chock full" though.

8:56 AM  
Blogger jen duncan said...

Looks like heaven up there! I just mapquested it and it's 7 hours from here. Should would like to find a little vacay nirvana closer to home! ;-)
lol at Monica. She's just chock full of funnies, heh?

9:22 AM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

I've never been to Twain Harte. Keep hearing about it but I had no idea how to even spell it. It's always had this mystery about it...looks beautiful. I have to get out of this house once in awhile! LOL! Lucky you!!!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Not so chock full of sweat today!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

You went right through my little town of Escalon on your way. My in-laws used to live in Sugar Pine which is right down the road. Don't you just love the pharmacy? My little quilt group goes to a retreat in Tuolumne every February and we descend on them on the Saturday we are there. It's wonderful! Thanks for the heads up on the cabin. I'll have to look into it for my family!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

This peep has spent the day cleaning her sewing room. I am going to redecorate eventually but needed to go through everything first. There was lots of fabric I forgot I had!

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man, you just have the MOST FUN! $6.99 Moda almost makes up for the heat, no?? I love a good dime store--all creaky wood floors and glass candy counter. A good display of peanuts under a heat lamp. yummy And bulk Brachs maple nut goodies. That's right, the GOOD OLD DAYS, there, I said it!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Pam, congratulations on winning the Winter fabric on the Minick and Simpson blog. Have fun with it.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Jodi Nelson said...

I love weekday trips too! My hubby has Friday's off a lot. After seeing your pics, I'm thinkin we should make more of an effort to explore. We just get caught up in the day to day stuff, ya know. Doing a day trip during the week, would be so much more fun. Holy Moly, your side bar has grew! And I'm on it! Thank you! It's gonna take me forever to explore.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like another fun trip. I love drives up that way.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Heidi Ann said...

I got a kick out of this post! We live in Sonora, and I've never eaten at The Rock - might have to check it out one of these days! But I DO think I'll have to make a trip to Twain Harte Pharmacy and have another look at the Moda in the fabric dept.! I do love that pharmacy and that's probably large due to the fact that it's also a Ben Franklin, which I used to love shopping at in Placerville when I was growing up. I still miss it.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older