Monday, October 16, 2006

International Man of Mystery

Its hard to get good photos at PIQF, there are so many quilts and so many people. Two quilts really jumped out at me. In the small collection, Japan: A Journey Around Kimono Fabric - Yoshiko Katagirl. Recent works based on her series of articles in Patchwork Tsushin, there was this quilt. I loved the tiny half square triangles. Probably 3/4 of a inch big. I can't even imagine sewing those small things together and having them still be square.



Its the colors and the baskets that fascinate me in this quilt. I think baskets are my favorite blocks. I am not one to fully enjoy the random nature of this quilt, the interrupted rows make me look to connect them somehow. Maybe that was the intention of the quilt artist.



The circles are also amazing. Round for one thing! And some are textured, the fabric is stitched and drawn up in some technique I am unfamiliar with. Really amazing. Plus it looks like crepe type fabric, so no easy task to work with in the first place.



And this piece..
Oh Illya, sigh. From 1964-68, you were my man of mystery.



There really is something for everyone at a show this size.

8 Comments:

Blogger Niki Fretwell said...

Love that basket quilt and to have been made from crepe- amazing!
Love the colours.
Niki

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MOM! There are not enough pictures of me on your blog...

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the tiny quilt.

2:35 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

Triangle squares that size aren't hard at all - you just make them bigger, press, then cut to perfect size. That's the way I do all my triangle squares - makes putting the blocks together so much easier.

I think we were all in love with Ilya!

:-)

6:44 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I love the second quilt best of these two. I really love quilts of the thirties, but I am also really excited by modern ones too. My favorites right now are by Denise Schmidt(sp?)

I really wish I could have gone to such a big quilt show.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were some amazing pieces of quilt artistry at that show. Did you see the badger wall-hanging? Or the quilt sleeves wall-hanging?

5:22 PM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

Been really busy like you...hope to chat soon.

9:09 PM  
Blogger One Crabapple said...

oh my gosh ! the man from uncle!
I was so little but I liked the blonde man. IS that Illya? yeh if a five year old is allowed a crush...and I watched it for the one woman that came on...oh I can't remember now.

ANYWAY !! I love the japanese quilt. I have been staring and staring. Gawd I am so glad you showed this !
Love , S.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older